Thomas Hunter Hall

Located in the Upper East Side Historic District, Thomas Hunter Hall once housed the prestigious Hunter High School. Designed by C.B.J. Snyder in the Gothic Revival Style for the New York City school system in 1913, the school is now part of Hunter College of the City University of New York. The college asked Li/Saltzman Architects to evaluate the building envelope, whose structural integrity and weathertightness were failing, and to make recommendations for restoration.

Based on a hands-on investigation and exploratory probes of the steel-frame limestone-clad structure, Li/Saltzman developed a detailed restorative program. As the Architect for the restoration of 365 windows, including new double-glazed wood sash, steel fire-rated windows, and monumental leaded-glass windows, Li/Saltzman provided services through construction administration. Completion of the project will result in the exterior restoration of one of Hunter College’s most architecturally significant buildings.