New York County Lawyer’s Association Headquarters

This Neo-Georgian limestone building was built by the distinguished American architect Cass Gilbert and has housed the NY County Lawyers Association since its completion in 1930, when it was declared the “Home of Law.” An individually designated New York landmark, it is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Li/Saltzman Architects completed a Needs Assessment and Master Plan to serve as the foundation of the rehabilitation project. After interviews with NYCLA representatives, an existing condition survey, a space utilization analysis, and a zoning and code analysis, Li/Saltzman Architects developed a building program and proposed space plan. Options were explored for the reorganization of existing space, expansion on the rooftop, and the adaptive use of an unused bomb shelter in the cellar as a new lecture hall. The Master Plan included prioritized recommendations keyed to phases and construction cost estimates. The comprehensive plan, balancing the objectives of historic preservation with public safety and modern programmatic requirements, provides a critical decision-making tool for the future of this extraordinary landmark.