Jefferson Market Branch Library

Built as the Third Judicial District Courthouse in 1877, as part of a complex that included a public market and jail, the building was designed by the architectural firm of Vaux and Withers. The most prominent building in Greenwich Village, its brick and sandstone facades are richly ornamented with sculptural detail. Considered a monument of High Victorian Gothic Revival design, the library is also of seminal importance in the historic preservation movement. After the building was vacated in 1958, preservationists rallied for its adaptive use as a library, which was successfully completed by Architect Giorgio Cavaglieri in 1967.

Working with the New York Public Library in the 21st century, Li/Saltzman provided architectural services for both the exterior restoration and interior renovation of this National Historic Landmark. Documentation and assessment of the slate, iron, sandstone and brickwork, included hands-on inspection using industrial rope rigging by Vertical Access. Design and construction documents addressed the reconfiguration of interior layouts and elevator, mechanical, electrical and plumbing upgrades. As restoration progresses, the Jefferson Market Library continues to serve its community and to provide an outstanding example of the adaptive use of historic buildings.