Emmanuel Baptist Church

Located in the Clinton Hill Historic District, the Emmanuel Baptist Church was built in 1886-87 to the design of Francis Kimball in the Gothic Revival style. Noting that Emmanuel Baptist is “perhaps the finest surviving 19th century church interior in New York City” the Landmarks Preservation Commission designated the complex, consisting of the Sanctuary, Parish Hall, and  neo-Gothic style school building, as a landmark in 1968.  The buildings are intensively used for religious and community programs.

Developing a Master Plan in 1994, Li/Saltzman undertook the phased restoration and rehabilitation of the church complex, addressing exterior restoration, structural stabilization, barrier-free access, conservation of stenciled and polychromatic interior finishes, and mechanical, electrical and plumbing and fire protection systems. Phased work allowed the church to continue activities during construction. Preservation of the buildings’ spatial qualities, character-defining features and finishes was key to the project’s success. The beauty and integrity of the original architecture has been re-instated; the complex is publicly accessible and readily accommodates modern programming.