Chatwal Hotel (Former Lambs club)

The Lambs Club, an individually designated NYC landmark, was built in 1904-1905 to house a prestigious social organization for actors and theater enthusiasts. Originally designed by McKim, Mead & White, and enlarged in 1915, the brick, marble and terra cotta Colonial Revival style building features ornamental lambs’ and rams’ heads.

Li/Saltzman served as Preservation Architect for the conversion and enlargement of the club as a hotel. Beginning with archival research and documentation, a meticulously detailed exterior restoration included the terra cotta, brick and marble exterior façade and the re-creation of gates and lanterns. Significant interior features including a superb Stanford While paneled library, an Italian marble Renaissance fireplace donated to the club by White, the Grille Room, and War Memorial, were carefully integrated into the new hotel. The project both effectively accommodated the client’s goal and preserved a significant component of New York City’s rich architectural and theatrical tradition.