Andrew Freedman Home

The Andrew Freedman Home, a limestone Italian Renaissance mansion located in the Grand Concourse Historic District, was built in 1924 as a luxurious home for the formerly wealthy. After purchasing the building in 1984, the Mid-Bronx Senior Citizen Council (MBSCC) continued to use the individually designated landmark as a home for the elderly, and later as a day-care center and event space. In keeping with its mission as a community catalyst, the MBSCC formed a strategic plan that included the further development of the site.

The MBSCC sought to implement its strategic plan for the Andrew Freedman complex, addressing both the landmark building and proposed new residential development. Li/Saltzman Architects and Curtis + Ginsberg Architect assisted the MBSCC in developing options for the restoration and continued adaptive use of the building and the inclusion of new housing on the site. The analysis focused on achieving an appropriate equilibrium between financially feasible residential development and respect for the landmark building and historic district.