Community Synagogue

The Community Synagogue, built in 1848 as the St. Mark’s Episcopal Church, has been a synagogue since 1940. The building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Li/Saltzman commenced work on the building with an Existing Condition Study which provided the basis for a $320,000 matching grant from the NY State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation’s Environmental Protection Fund (EPF). Li/Saltzman was the architect for the first phase of restoration entailing structural reinforcing of the original wood roof trusses.  Phase II restored the wood pediment, cornices and ornament and provide a new roof and skylights.  The architectural integrity of the neo-classical synagogue once again graces the East Village.