New York State Capitol Building

The New York State Capitol Building in Albany has served as the seat of government for New York since the 1880s. The National Historic Landmark and National Register listed building was constructed over a 32 year period (1867-1899) by three teams of architects. The original windows were replaced in the 1940s and 1950s with less appropriate windows which are now exhibiting significant signs of deterioration. The Office of General Services (OGS) sought a detailed analysis for a window replacement program.

Working with STV, LSA developed a program to increase window functionality, energy efficiency, user comfort, and historical appropriateness.  Design options for cold-rolled steel, hot-rolled steel, and aluminum windows were developed to replace the original cast-iron windows.  Technical information, including material options, hazardous material analysis, coordination with HVAC replacement, phasing, and cost estimating, was presented in narrative and tabular form, illustrated with drawings and photographs. The Architect of the Capitol supported the report’s findings.