Congregation Tifereth Israel

Built in 1911, the Tifereth Israel Synagogue is a rare survivor of the earliest synagogues built in Queens. The design is strikingly reminiscent of vernacular Lower East Side synagogues.  Tifereth Israel Synagogue is an individually designated New York City landmark and is listed on the New York State and National Registers of Historic Places.

To bring back the lost architectural integrity of the synagogue,  Li/Saltzman Architects established a restoration scope including structural stabilization, new wood clapboard siding,  new wood windows and art glass,  repair of the metal cornice, re-creation of ornamental domes, and painting with historically appropriate colors.  The project received funding from the New York State Environmental Protection Fund, NYC’s capital budget, and a variety of private grants. The restoration received a 2012 Preservation Award from the New York Metropolitan Chapter of the Victorian Society in America.

Press: New York Times, Crain’s