High Bridge Historic Structure Report

Constructed between 1839 and 1848, High Bridge was built as part of the Croton Aqueduct system, which carried water from Westchester to New York City. Altered in 1860-1864 to accommodate an increased need for water for the growing city, and again in 1928 to accommodate modern navigational requirements, the bridge was decommissioned in 1955 and officially closed to pedestrians in 1960.  The High Bridge is an individually designated NYC landmark, listed on the State and National Register of Historic Places, and included in the Croton Aqueduct National Historic Landmark; therefore the proposed work was subject to review and approval by the NYC Landmarks Commission and the NY State Historic Preservation Office.

Li/Saltzman was the primary author of the Historic Structure Report, recording the chronological history, assessing the character-defining features, and developing the proposed treatments for the bridge’s use as a pedestrian walkway and bicycle pathway meeting modern programmatic requirements.  The design team worked with the NYC Department of Parks and Recreation and Department of Design and Construction to ensure High Bridge’s long term viability.