West 115th Street Library

The 115th Street Branch Library is one of the 67 libraries built between 1901 and 1929 in New York City through the philanthropy of Andrew Carnegie.  Completed in 1909, the limestone building was designed by McKim Mead & White, Architects in the Renaissance Revival style with a deeply rusticated façade and bracketed cornice. The library is a New York City landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Li/Saltzman served as the Architect for the rehabilitation of the 12,000 square foot library. Barrier-free access was designed in conjunction with the restoration of the stone façade and entry. Interior rehabilitation addressed the auditorium, reading rooms, offices, stairs, toilet facilities, and support spaces. Historic finishes including ornamental plaster, marble and wrought iron stairs, and wood paneling were restored. Mechanical, plumbing, electrical, sprinkler and fire alarm systems were upgraded; wireless computer access and an ADA-compliant elevator were installed. A modern library, meeting today’s demanding programmatic requirements, has been carefully integrated with the original building’s classical architecture.