Church of the Holy Apostles

The Church of the Holy Apostles is distinguished as the only extant example of the renowned architect Minard Lafever’s work in Manhattan. Constructed in 1848, the church was enlarged in phases, including a chancel by Lafever in 1854, and new transepts in 1858, designed by Richard Upjohn & Son. The Italianate style church featuring stained glass windows designed by William Jay Bolton was designated by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1966.

After the building suffered a devastating fire in 1990, the congregation initiated a restoration campaign, while continuing operation of its Soup Kitchen feeding the city’s hungry and homeless. To restore the extensively damaged interior, the historic finishes had to be removed and the structural framing exposed.  After reinforcing of the framing, original vaulting, profiles, and details were replicated in three-coat plaster; windows and doors were restored.  A new kitchen was built in the Rectory. The landmark church—a place of solace and a symbol of hope—continues to serve its constituency.