West 69th Street Transfer Bridge

The West 69th Street Transfer Bridge on the Hudson River is a significant engineering landmark. Built in 1911, when the working waterfront needed a critical link between water and rail traffic, the bridge was used to transfer railroad cars from floating barges to the shore. Deactivated from service in 1968, the bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003.

Sponsored by the NYC Department of Parks & Recreation and the Riverside Park Fund, the program was to adaptively use the industrial landmark as a waterfront amenity for ferry/water taxi access.  Striking a balance among preservation, structural stabilization, and adaptive use, Li/Saltzman Architects’ design sensitively introduces contemporary interventions required for access, security, and public safety. New elements include stainless steel railings and mesh, wood handrails and decking.

When completed, the bridge will utilize a historic artifact as a public amenity, allowing users to both appreciate the industrial heritage of New York City’s waterfront and access maritime transportation.