Fulton Ferry Fireboat House

Originally built in 1926 for Marine Co. No. 7 of the NYC Fire Department, the Fulton Ferry Fireboat House subsequently served as the National Maritime Historical Society’s Fulton Ferry Museum. After years of vacancy and deterioration, the landmarked former firehouse was scheduled for adaptive use by the NYC Economic Development Corporation as part of their revitalization program of the Fulton Ferry Landing in the 1990s.

Li/Saltzman Architects undertook the restoration and adaptive use of the fireboat house as a waterfront café and offices for Bargemusic. The design focused on maintaining the building’s utilitarian character and historic fabric, and on addressing public access and use requirements. Barrier-free ramps and equipment enclosures were carefully coordinated
with the landscape design of the Fulton Ferry Landing. Composite shingles were used to replace the historic asbestos shingles.  Interior rehabilitation included the creation of accessible restrooms and the installation of new mechanical systems, lighting and finishes. The project was awarded the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission’s Certificate of Merit.