470 Broome Street

Originally constructed as a warehouse in 1867, the building is an early example of Architect Griffith Thomas’s work in the Soho Cast-Iron Historic District. The stone and brick building features Corinthian cast-iron columns, quoined pilasters, drop-lintels, and a sheet-metal cornice with foliated brackets crowned by a broad pediment.

Li/Saltzman Architects provided full architectural services from programming through construction administration for the adaptive use of the 30,000 square foot loft building into three floors of commercial space and two floors of joint live/work quarters for artists. The architectural integrity of the building was re-established by a full exterior restoration. Containing four light-filled luxury condominiums units, the upper two floors juxtapose historic and contemporary design elements. Rooftop additions create duplex units with multi-level terraces. With new mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and fire protection systems throughout, the long term use of the building has been established and its architectural presence in the historic district reaffirmed.